We had an interactive session with Odia tweeples who eagerly participated in the campaign called #OdishaExpress . The outcome was mindblowing.
Concept was crowdsourcing information about lesser known places of Odisha in the form of a virtual tour. A route map was posted in advance for the tweeples to prepare themeselves with all related information. Every place was given enough time in the form of virtual halts so that the locals or people who have already visited those places (in & around the place also) can post its touristic significance. Here is the compilation of information we got during the virtual tour…
Route-1: Bhubaneswar to Nabarangpur
Major places covered: Bhubaneswar, Khordha, Nayagada, Phulbani, Bhawanipatna, Nabarangpur
- Capital of Odisha
- City of temples (Lingaraj temple, Rajarani Temple etc)
- Gateway to Jagannatha Temple, Puri & Sun Temple, Konark
- Nandan Kanan Zoological park
- Buddhist monuments at Dhauli & Khandagiri & Udaygiri with inscriptions with significance to Jainism.
- Local delicacies: Kora Ukhuda of Lingaraj Temple, Dahi bara-Aloo Dum
Khordha / Khurda
- Headquarter to the district of BBSR.
- Land of the Odia warrior clan called the PAIKAs. Paika akhada (ପାଇକ ଆଖଡା) is our very own “Martial Art”. Now only practised as a symbolic representation at various functions. Another such form called Badi khela / Gauda Badi Khela is almost extinct now. The Jaga Gharas and Akhadas of Puri have retained that rich tradition.
- Barunei Hill. The famous hill named after Goddess. The fort of Khordha used to b there.
- Ramachandi Temple (15 km)
- ATRI hot water basin (15 km) in Bramhagiri dist
- Khordha gamuchha
- Haji pir of kaipadar, meeting point for Hindus & Muslims
- Kalupada, ayurvedic SEKA treatment for bone fractures
- Famous for its erstwhile warrior clan- The Paikas.
- Deras & Jhumuka Dams (Photo Courtesy: Ashish Kumar Nayak)
- Various ancient temples with archeological richness (apart from bbsr) etc.
Nayagarh / Nayagada
- Temple of Shri Ladukeshwar (Ladu baba) at Sharanakula (13 km)
- Temple of Raghunath Jiu at Odogaon (26 km)
- Nilamadhava temple at Kantilo (33 km)
- Dutikeswara Temple (Photo courtesy: Diptiman Panigrahi)
- Budhakhol near Nayagarh (Photo courtesy: Bikash Ojha)
- Dakhineswari Kali Mandira is also famous in Nayagarh
- Budha Budhiani Dam which is at 10km from Odogaon, is a very famous picnic spot.
- Khandapada: Birthplace of Odia astronomer Pathani Samanta.
- Work place of Dasia Ajaa (Dasarathi Pattanaik) who initiated the Paathagaara Aandolana (library movement) in Odisha.
- Flora & fauna of Daspalla forests
- Approach for Satakoshia Gorge on River Mahanadi & the wildlife sanctuary, Tikarpara crocodile sanctuary (Photo Courtesey: Sambit Kundu)
- Local delicacies: Chhenapoda, sweet made out of cottage cheese. Though Chhenapoda is a sweet which is available across Odisha, the one from Nayagarh is softer, less burnt.
- Daringibadi – Kashmir of Odisha (103 km) (Photo Courtesey: Sambit Kundu)
- Putudi waterfall (15 km)
- Belghar Sanctuary – Land of the tribal sect “Dongria Kondh” (158 km)
- South leaning Shiva Linga at Chakapad (55 km): the temple at Chakapada is believed to be tilted to one side. Chakapada Birupakshya temple,Where trees & shivling are mysteriously southwardly slanted. (Photo Courtesey: Alisa Sahu)
- The water reservoir called “TUMUDI BANDHA”, around 15kms from Phulbani is a calm and serene place.
- Katramala waterfall is at around 35km from Phulbani. (Photo Courtesey: Alisa Sahu)
- Land of many Kondh tribes like Kutia Kondh, Dongria Kondh etc
- Urmagarh waterfall is at around 40km from Phulbani (Photo courtesy: Alisa Sahu)
- Kalinga Ghati, Connecting Kandhamala with Ganjam (Photo Courtesy: Alisa Sahu)
- Manikeshwari Temple – primary deity of Royals from Paralakhemundi
- Chatar Jatra of Maa Manikeswari durig Durga Puja
- Phulijharan waterfall- picnic spot (15 km)
- Karlapat Wildlife Sanctuary (12 km)
- Ampani Hills with flora & fauna (77 km)
- Mohangiri Temple which is 50kms from Bhawanipatna has the oldest Surviving Shiva Temple in Odisha, dating back to 6th Century.
- Jagannatha Temple in Mukhiguda – Shaila Shrikhsetra (Photo courtesy: Abhishek Bal)
- Asurgarh : An ancient Fortified city 2000 years old, contemporary to Sisupalgarh is about 20kms from Bhawanipatna.
- Wooden & Bamboo handicrafts of Narla, Dharmagarh & Khairpadar. Stone work of Ampani.
- Dokrichanchara waterfall (Photo courtesy: Alilsa Sahu)
- Local Delicacies: Arisa Pitha
Nabarangapur / Nowrangpur
- Maa Bhandaragharani Temple (Presiding deity)
- Papadahandi (12 km):
Very old Shiva temple
Martyr memorial (Shahid Smruti Stambha)
- Podagada (52 kms): Heritage site which belongs to 5th Century Nala Dynasty.
- Khatiguda Dam on river Indravati
- Umerkote: Famous for Goddress Pendrani, produces Maize
- Annual tribal festival “Mondei”
@WeAreBBSR : For the opportunity to curate the handle for a week
Odia Tweeples: For participating enmasse with a lot of enthu!
Map Courtesy: www.distancefrom.com